Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long BeachCalifornia State University, Long Beach


Foreign Travel Liability Insurance Program


University faculty, staff, employees and students are required to purchase Foreign Travel Liability Insurance Program (FTLIP) insurance through the Office of the Campus Risk Manager via the California State Risk Management Authority (CSURMA) prior to departure for international destinations on University related business, university related courses, or travel study abroad. CO Memo. RM 2011-03, Foreign Travel Insurance Program—Requirements to Purchase and EO 1041, CSU-Student Travel.


University Business

For purposes of FTLIP insurance, University business includes University faculty, staff, employees, or students, sponsored or employed by University Departments, conducting academic coursework, field research, attendance at professional conferences and attendance at meetings and teachings. University business must be evaluated and approved by the required department before FTLIP insurance coverage can be purchased through the Office of the Campus Risk Manager.

FTLIP Scope of Coverage

The coverage territory of FTLIP insurance is anywhere in the world excluding the United States, its territories or possessions; the territorial waters of the United States, or those countries, jurisdictions and/or territories against which the government of the United States of America (including any department or subdivision thereof) administers and/or enforces economic and/or trade sanctions.

In all cases, countries designated by underwriting as high hazardous countries require underwriting approval and additional premiums. The underwriter may request additional information as deemed necessary.

The California State University’s comprehensive foreign travel insurance coverage includes but is not limited to general liability, excess auto liability, primary medical expense, emergency medical benefits, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, political evacuations and repatriation benefit war risk coverage, accidental death and dismemberment benefit, lost luggage, and passport replacement. Coverage is also provided for work related injuries, employers and director’s liability and benefits recovery. FLTP insurance does not cover high risk activities, such as, but not limited to, hang gliding, scuba diving, and white water rafting.

Others Who Can Purchase FTLIP Insurance

All Affiliate Groups may elect to require purchasing of FTLIP insurance coverage through those organization’s designated funds for those organizations’ employees, faculty or staff. Spouses may also elect to purchase FTLIP insurance coverage, however, must contact the Office of the Campus Risk Manager and do so at their own cost prior to departure.

All other individuals requesting FTLIP insurance must contact the Office of the Campus Risk Manager to determine eligibility for the program and cost assessment for FTLIP insurance.

General Cost of Coverage

Insurance premiums for FTLIP are based on the duration of the trip, type of traveler, location of travel and the total number of participants. Most current rates are available online or through contacting the Office of the Campus Risk Manager. Rates for countries on the US State Department Travel Warning List or high hazard countries require underwriter approval and additional premium costs. Upon request, the Office of the Campus Risk Manager can request a nonbinding quote to assist with estimation of budgetary needs.


Faculty or staff may be required to provide Air Travel Notification & Release and Hold Harmless Statement and/or Medical Disclosure and Assumption of the Risk Statements for both domestic and foreign travel destinations. EO-1051, CSU-Use of Approved Waiver of Liability.

Students will also have to provide basic information including name, contact information, program, emergency contact information, date of birth, student ID number and major. In addition, all students studying abroad are required to procure and have medical insurance valid in the host country and to sign a liability release for the approving department to maintain on file. EO-1051, CSU-Use of Approved Waiver of Liability.

Please contact Felissa Waynick at (562) 985-2396 or if you have any questions.



Subject Contact Phone Email
Primary Guideline Contact Felissa Waynick (562) 985-2396
Secondary Guideline Contact Karla Salas-Ramirez (562) 985-8333


When does FTLIP become effective and when does it terminate?

FTLIP insurance coverage lapses when employees, staff, faculty and students are engaging in independent international travel including when those individuals (1) voluntarily choose to extend their stay abroad for a period of time greater than 72 hours before or after their foreign University business commences or ends or (2) leave their destination country to visit another country. It is therefore recommended that all participants maintain health insurance coverage for any anticipated periods of travel not covered by FTLIP insurance including travel in the United States, during actual air travel, and including any travel outside of the travel designated foreign country(ies).

What if I fail to purchase FTLIP insurance?

Faculty, staff or employees requesting travel authorization for themselves or for students are ultimately responsible to ensure that FTLIP is bound prior to leaving for any foreign travel. Due to the inherent risks associated with international travel, if the CSU’s FTLIP insurance is not obtained prior to departure, the international travel will be considered unauthorized and FTLIP insurance will be unavailable during and/or after the travel event has occurred.

How is the FTLIP insurance premium paid?

The Office of the Campus Risk Manger is charged from the insurer for the premiums of all FTLIP insurance. The Office of the Campus Risk Manager recharges the Chartfield department accounts for the foreign travel insurance premium cost when coverage is bound. The Office of the Campus Risk Manager is unable to accept alternate forms of payment (i.e. check, cash, credit card, etc.). The Office of the Campus Risk Manager requires that departments provide their department Chartfield account number once insurance has been bound.

Travelers that wish to recharge the travel insurance expense to their ORSP research grant instead of the Department approving travel should contact ORSP or their Grants Administrator to determine if such coverage is available during the Pre-Award and Compliance stage.

May I use my personal lines of insurance (i.e. health/medical, homeowners, auto, etc.) in lieu of the CSU’s foreign travel insurance to provide for unexpected University international travel loss or expenses?

No. Most personal lines of insurance do not carry the same high insurance coverage limits and comprehensive executive assistance services offered through the CSU’s Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTLIP). The FTLIP policy is exclusive to CSU employees and students and exceeds the insurance limits and benefits of most insurance policies available through any travel agency. The FTLIP is unique in that it provides immediate and comprehensive worldwide assistance available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week to ensure that all CSU employees and students have comprehensive coverage for any loss, injury or illness while traveling abroad.

What happens if I have a claim?

If you have a claim or question about whether you have a claim, please contact your Campus Office Risk Manager as soon as possible at (526) 985-2396 as well as the travel hotline listed on the travel assist card.

What if I cannot reach the Risk Manager, who can I call?

In the event that your Campus Risk Manager is unavailable to assist, please call Karla Salas-Ramirez in the office of Risk Management at (562) 985-8333.


Issue Date: May 9, 2011

Last Review Date: May 2, 2011

Amended Date: September 9, 2014