Skip to Content
California State University, Long BeachCalifornia State University, Long Beach


  1. Employees

    All University employees, including those engaged by the University in connection with research grants and contracts, are routinely covered 24 hours a day, worldwide, against accidental death or dismemberment while on an official University business trip or while engaged in designated extra-hazardous activities on behalf of the University.

    In addition, all University employees are provided with Workers’ Compensation coverage for work-related injury or illness that occurs during a University-approved and -funded business trip.

    For insurance coverage purposes, an official University business trip begins when the traveler leaves his/her residence or normal work location, whichever occurs last, and ends when the traveler returns to his/her residence or normal work location, whichever occurs first.

    All employees, who travel internationally on CSU business, are required to use the Foreign Travel Insurance Program (FTIP) via the California State University Risk Management Authority (CSURMA). Administrative Guidelines for Purchasing of Foreign Travel Insurance and the FTIP summary of coverage is available on the CSULB Risk Management website at:

    Requests for FTIP should be received in Risk Management in order to purchase insurance:

    • 30 days prior to travel for non-risk countries
    • 45 days prior to travel for risk countries

    Additional information may be found at:

  2. Rental Vehicles

    Travelers are expected to use rental agencies with which the University has system-wide contracts that include insurance coverage. The following rules apply to insurance coverage for rental cars:

    • On contract rental vehicles used in the contiguous United States, charges for additional insurance are not allowable, including any charge for a collision damage waiver (CDW).
    • Additional charges for insurance coverage will not be reimbursed if a non-contract agency is used, unless no car rental company in the area has such an agreement with the University.
    • The cost of full collision coverage for rental cars used in Alaska, Hawaii, U.S. possessions, and foreign countries, is allowable.
    • A vehicle rented from an agency with which the University has an agreement is not covered by insurance when it is being used for a personal day of travel.
    • Travelers shall not rent, use and operate 15 passenger vans or 14 passenger vans where a seat has been removed.

    Some rental car agreements contain special coverage provisions that differ from the general coverage rules detailed above. For additional information on rental car insurance coverage, see: The University’s risk management office should be contacted for information on campus-specific contracts or insurance coverage.

    A University traveler may be reimbursed for property damage to a rental vehicle only if such expenses were incurred on days the vehicle was being used for University business purposes. The amount reimbursed may be charged to the traveler's department, the department sponsoring the traveler, or to an account designated by the President or his/her designee, as appropriate.

    The traveler shall submit with the Travel Expense Claim a brief description of the damage to the vehicle, including an explanation of the cause of such damage, and either a police report or a report prepared by the rental company.

  3. Private Vehicles

    An employee who regularly uses a private vehicle on University business is required to have and provide, upon request, satisfactory evidence of liability insurance coverage. Regular is defined as more than one trip per calendar month.

    When private vehicles are used on University business, the appropriate administrator responsible for reviewing travel shall require that employees have adequate liability insurance coverage. The minimum prescribed liability insurance coverage is as follows:

    • $15,000 for personal injury to, or death of, one person;
    • $30,000 for injury to, or death of, two or more persons in one accident; and
    • $5,000 for property damage.

    When driving a personal vehicle, the drivers personal auto liability insurance is primary. The auto liability coverage maintained by the University is only applied as excess when required over and above the drivers auto liability limits

    When a privately owned vehicle operated by an employee is damaged by collision or receives other accidental damage, reasonable reimbursement for repairs incurred by the employee shall be allowed under the following conditions:

    • The damage occurred while the vehicle was being used on official state business with the authorization of the employing University.
    • The vehicle was damaged through no fault of the employee.
    • The amount claimed is an actual loss to the employee, which is not recoverable either directly from or through the insurance coverage of any of the parties involved in the accident.
    • The amount of the loss claimed does not result from a decision of an employee not to maintain collision coverage.
    • The claim is processed in accordance with prescribed procedures.

    Expenses that can be recouped from insurance are not eligible for reimbursement. The amount reimbursed shall be based on receipts submitted by the employee to the individual who authorized the travel. The reimbursement may be charged to the department or to another appropriate account as designated by the President or designee.

    Additional information may be found in the University and Private Vehicles Policy Guidelines published by the CSU Offices of Risk Management, Human Resources and General Counsel. This document may be found at:

  4. Students

    Student Travel Accident Insurance provides excess medical expense benefits to all California State University (CSU) students, including students enrolled only in extended education programs of the CSU while they are traveling to or from or participating in a university sponsored activity away from campus.

    This insurance is intended to supplement, not replace, coverage under any other health care plan. As excess insurance, this policy pays after any other health care plan, regardless of any coordination of benefits provisions in the other plans. This is an accident only policy and will not pay benefits for loss caused by or resulting from illness of any form or disease. No benefits will be paid for a loss resulting from the cost of medical service or treatment given by persons employed or retained by the CSU. The total maximum benefit amount per covered person, per covered accident is $35,000.00.

  5. Personal Property or Baggage

    Losses attributable to Airlines (Common Carrier)
    If a traveler incurs a loss to personal belongings that occurred during a flight, the first airlines (common carrier) is typically responsible for reimbursement. The traveler should file a claim as instructed by the common carrier. If the common carrier does not provide full reimbursement to the traveler for the personal belongings, the traveler may have an option to file a claim against the credit card company used to purchase the airline ticket. For further information, contact the credit card company directly.
    Other personal property losses
    The University’s insurance programs do not provide coverage of personal property while traveling on University business. For losses not attributable to a flight, whether lost, damaged or stolen, the traveler has the right to file a claim against the State of California through the Government Claims Program. For further information or to obtain a claim form visit CSU Risk Management and Public Safety.
  6. Emergencies

    In case of emergencies while on travel status, the traveler should first contact emergency responders at their location. The traveler’s Appropriate Administrator and University Risk Management/Insurance officer should be informed as soon as possible.

    Employees covered by the CSU Group Life insurance plan through Standard Insurance Company are also covered by the MEDEX Travel Assist program (Group #7088) when traveling at least 100 miles from home or in a foreign country. For more information see your University Payroll/Benefits office. Additional information about coverage can be found at: