Skip to Content
California State University, Long BeachCalifornia State University, Long Beach

Frequently Asked Questions
About Changes to the CSU TSA Program

In addition to the questions below information will be updated on the CSU's online benefits portal as it becomes available.

Expand All / Collapse All

What is the Unique Identifier that Retirement Manager requires in order to log-in?
The Unique Identifier in Retirement Manager is the employee’s Social Security Number (SSN). When the employee logs on for the first time, the employee will have to provide his/her Social Security Number (SSN), last name and date of birth. Retirement Manager will prompt the employee to create a password. Thereafter, each time the employee logs into Retirement Manager, the employee’s SSN and a password that the employee created will need to be used to gain access.
On November 3 or 4, I tried to make a total contribution of $2000 on Retirement Manager. Retirement Manager would not allow me to contribute more than $1,375.00 per month. Why couldn't I contribute more of my salary?
As of November 5, 2008, the $1,375.00 per month limitation has been removed from Retirement Manager. Employees may defer up to the 402(g) limit of $18,000 and the 414(v) age 50 catch-up allowance of $6,000, if applicable. Employees may contribute up to their current monthly salary, but once contributions reach the applicable limits, Retirement Manager will not submit future deductions for processing on an employee’s behalf to the State Controller’s Office.
I will be teaching in spring 2016, and decided to enroll in Retirement Manager during November 2015, but I was not recognized. Why?
If you are not an active employee, you will not be reflected in Retirement Manager during the enrollment period. Retirement Manager will be updated each month with eligibility data from the previous month. You will need to be an active employee when the spring semester starts before you can enroll
If I am a current participant of Fidelity, do I need to complete a new application to open an account?
No. Existing Fidelity participants are not required to complete a new application.
I am a current participant of TIAA-Cref and want to know if I need to complete a new application to open an account.
No. Current TIAA-Cref participants are not required to complete a new application.
Which of the five fund sponsors require both new and existing participants to complete an application to open an account?
Valic, Voya (formerly ING) and MetLife.
Will a fee be charged to participants by the Master Administrator?
No, the Master Administrator is not charging a fee to participants, or to the CSU for its recordkeeping services.
What is the minimum amount I can contribute to a TSA?
The CSU Tax Sheltered Annuity Program requires a $15.00 minimum monthly contribution (per fund sponsor).
Will the changes to the CSU TSA Program have any effect on the DPA Savings Plus Program?
No. The Savings Plus Program will continue to administer 401(k) and 457 Plans, which aren’t affected by the new IRS regulations regarding 403(b) accounts.
How can I find more information about the changes to the TSA Program?
The CSU is committed to giving you the information, tools, and resources you need to make decisions that are right for you. Before the special enrollment period, you’ll receive a packet with details about the Master Administrator, the new funds that will be offered, and the steps you’ll need to take to enroll. In addition, we’ll update the CSU’s online benefits portal with the most up-to-date information as it becomes available.
How do I print a certificate?

For hardship withdrawal (i.e. medical expenses, purchase a primary residence, tuition related fees, prevent eviction, funeral expenses, repairs to home due to fire, theft, storm) employees logs in to Retirement Manager and prints hardship withdrawal certificate. Approval of hardship withdrawal is determined by the vendor.

To take a loan, employee logs in to Retirement Manager and prints loan certificate.

To move 403(b) funds to a 403(b) with one of the five current fund sponsors (Fidelity, MetLife, TIAA-CREF, Valic, Voya), employee logs in to Retirement Manager and prints contract exchange certificate.

Certification Instructions

How do I do a plan to plan transfer?

Any 403(b) transfer, rollover, withdrawal, or distribution request requiring a Plan Administrator signature must be signed by a Plan Administrator at the Chancellor's Office. Please enclose the following documents with your request:

  • Your fund provider's form
  • Transfer/rollover/withdrawal/distribution request form, completed and signed (make a copy for yourself)
  • Self-addressed, stamped envelope

You will need to send the request to the following address. Estimated return time is 5-7 business days.

The California State University, Chancellor's Office
Systemwide Human Resources Administration
401 Golden Shore Drive, 4th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802

You may also fax all required documents to (562) 951-4695

Walk-in requests and drop-offs are not permitted.

Plan to Plan Transfer Instructions