Skip to Content
California State University, Long BeachCalifornia State University, Long Beach

Direct Deposit Program


What happens after I submit the enrollment form?

The Payroll office will check your eligibility, complete the reminder of the form, and forward it to the State Controller’s Office (SCO) for processing. Once the SCO verifies that you have an active account at your designated financial institution, all pay warrants you receive through the payroll system (e.g., regular pay, overtime, adjustments, etc.) will be made by Direct Deposit.

After the SCO receives my form, how long does it take to go into effect?

You can expect Direct Deposit of your pay warrant(s) to begin within 30 to 45 days after your form is received by the SCO. This time is necessary to verify that an active account exists with your financial institution. Financial institutions are given 20 days to respond. Once this verification has been completed, your next pay warrant will be issued through Direct Deposit.

How will I know if the State has sent my pay warrant to my financial institution?

You will receive a Direct Deposit Advice (DDA) from your department. The notice will be distributed with the main payroll on pay day or it may be picked up at the Cashiers.

Can I have my pay warrants deposited to either my checking or my savings account?

Yes. Either account is eligible. However, you must designate only one account to receive your funds. If you want a portion of your pay warrant deposited into another account(s), you must make arrangements with your financial institution for a transfer of funds.

What happens if a pay warrant is rejected by my financial institution because of a problem with the account?

If a pay warrant is rejected by your financial institution because of an invalid account number, the SCO will notify your Payroll office, take you off the Direct Deposit program, and issue a payroll warrant. The payroll warrant will be issued 9 to 17 working days after the SCO receives the returned pay warrant from your financial institution.

What happens if I am overpaid through direct deposit?

If you receive an overpay warrant through Direct Deposit, the State has the option of either recovering the funds directly from the account you designated for Direct Deposit or recovering the funds from future pay warrants. If the State chooses to recover the overpayment from future salary warrants, it may be necessary to remove you from the Direct Deposit program.

Am I the only one who can cancel my direct deposit authorization ?

No. The Payroll office may remove you from Direct Deposit under the following conditions:

  • Your Direct Deposit pay warrant is returned (e.g., due to a closed account or invalid routing number); or
  • You have requested a disability benefit; or
  • It is necessary to recover/prevent an overpayment; or
  • Your attendance pattern could result in an overpayment; or
  • It is necessary to issue you a salary advance; or
  • Under certain bankruptcy conditions.

You will be notified by the Payroll office if you are removed from the program.

If I have more than one position, what happens to my pay?

All salary payments (not travel or moving, etc.) that you receive will be deposited into your designated account, regardless of the number of positions you have. Be certain to complete and submit on one enrollment form even if you have more than one position.

What if my salary or payroll deductions change?

Your Direct Deposit Advice will indicate the change in your gross salary or deductions, and the new net salary will continue to be sent to your financial institution without interruption.

If my funds are not deposited on a regular scheduled date, whom do I contact?

If your funds are not available on the designated date, you should do one of the following:

  1. If you have received your Direct Deposit Advice, first contact your financial institution to be certain there is no delay in posting at that institution. Usually the problem can be resolved at this level.
  2. If your financial institution has not received your funds, or they were rejected due to a change in your account number, contact the Payroll office at ext. 4164.
  3. If you have not received your Direct Deposit Advice, contact your department.

Can I have my warrants deposited directly into my spouse's account?

No. The account to which your pay warrant is deposited must carry your name. It can be held in joint status, as long as your name is on the account.

What if I later choose to transfer my direct deposit to another account or financial institution?

To transfer your Direct Deposit, complete and submit a new enrollment form. Within 30 to 45 days, your Direct Deposit will be redirected to your new account and/or new financial institution. IMPORTANT: you must keep your old account open until your first pay warrant is deposited into your new account. Once a deposit is made to the new account, the old account can be closed. If your old account is closed before you notify the SCO of the change, the pay warrant will be rejected by the financial institution and a pay warrant will not be issued until the pay warrant returns to the SCO.

What if I terminate my employment with CSU, Long Beach?

If you leave this campus to work for another State agency in another location, your Direct Deposit will remain in effect unless you cancel it by completing a "Change" Direct Deposit Enrollment Authorization form for a new financial institution.