Skip to Content
California State University, Long BeachCalifornia State University, Long Beach

Student Assistant Payroll Process

Welcome to your new Student Assistant position at CSULB! To move forward in the hiring process, you must complete the following steps:

  • No later than 3 days after your start date, please visit the Payroll Department to complete your new hire paperwork. We are located in Brotman Hall, Room 344, and we’re open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. It will take a minimum of 30 minutes to complete the payroll sign in process, so please allow yourself enough time.
  • Please bring the following documents with you when you come to Payroll:
    • SEPTF (Student Employment Payroll Transaction Form) – your department may give this completed document to you, or they may choose to send it directly to the Payroll Department.
    • Social Security Card – you must bring the original card.
    • Original copies of documents that establish your eligibility to work in the United States
    • If you are neither a US Citizen nor a Permanent Resident, you must also bring the additional documents listed below, based upon your classification. They are needed for immigration and taxation purposes.
      • F1 Visa & Curricular Practical Training (CPT) : Passport, Visa, I-94, and I-20
      • J1 Visa: Passport, Visa, I-94, and DS 2019
      • Employment Authorization Card holder: Employment Authorization Card
      • Optional Practical Training (OPT): Employment Authorization Card, Passport, Visa, I-94 and I-20
  • Once you have completed the sign in process with the Payroll Department, they will give you a completed copy of your Student Payroll Action Request (SPAR) form. Please show this copy to your department contact so that they know your payroll processing has been completed.
  • Pick up your paycheck in your department. Pay date for students is typically the 15th of each month, unless the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday.
    • If your paycheck is not in your department, please ask your department coordinator to call the Payroll Department at
      ext. 5-4164 for additional information.
  • Please submit your timecard by the deadline. If time is submitted late, your paycheck will not be ready on pay day. If your check is produced late, your department will be notified when it is ready. Late paychecks should be picked up at the Cashier’s Office, located on the first floor of Brotman Hall. Please be sure to bring identification with you for check pick up.

Thank you!

List of Acceptable Documents to Establish Eligibility to Work in the United States

All Documents must be UNEXPIRED

Employees may present one selection from List A or a combination of one selection from List B and one selection from List C


Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization

  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  5. For a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:
    1. Foreign passport; and
    2. Form I-94 or Form I-94A, that has the following:
      1. The same name as the passport;
      2. An endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
  6. Passport form the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.


Documents that Establish Identity

  1. Driver's license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  3. School ID card with a photograph
  4. Voter's registration card
  5. U.S. Military card or draft record
  6. Military dependent's ID card
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card
  8. Native American tribal document
  9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:

  1. School record or report card
  2. Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  3. Day-care or nursery school record

and LIST C

Documents that Establish Employment Eligibility

  1. A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions:
  2. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350, FA-545, FS-240)
  3. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  4. Native American tribal document
  5. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  6. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  7. Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security