Skip to Content
California State University, Long BeachCalifornia State University, Long Beach

Volunteer Assignments

Volunteers perform a variety of services in support of University programs and activities with no promise, expectation, or receipt of compensation for services rendered from the university, auxiliaries, or third party vendors.

  1. General Information

    A Volunteer Assignment Form must be completed for each volunteer. Volunteers must provide a Social Security Number if they will drive a vehicle on state business and/or be reimbursed for travel expenses. Completed Volunteer Assignment Forms are to be retained in the college or administrative unit. A copy of the Volunteer Assignment Form shall be forwarded to the appropriate division executive. Keys or equipment provided to volunteers during their service must be returned at the end of their service. Library books must also be returned. Volunteer Assignment Forms and related documents may be destroyed three years following the end of volunteer service.

    The minimum age for a CSULB volunteer is 16. Volunteer service performed by minors shall conform to state regulations as follow:

    Maximum Number of Volunteer Hours for Minors

    • Non-School Days: 8/day; 48/week
    • School Days: 4/day; 28/week

    Volunteer service of minors may only be performed between 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. (12:30 a.m. when there is no school scheduled for the following day.)

    Volunteers who engage in lobbying activities on behalf of the CSU are exempt from the reporting requirements of the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995; however they may receive no financial or other compensation for their services. CSULB employees who engage in lobbying activities on behalf of the CSU in a volunteer capacity are not exempt from the reporting requirements of the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995.

    Individuals who volunteer as MD’s or in other professional activities in the allied health field will be required to demonstrate proof of current malpractice insurance. Such insurance shall be primary coverage for the volunteer.

  2. Miscellaneous Information

    1. The Volunteer assignment form must be filled out and approved by the appropriate administrator (level 4).
    2. ASM / Appropriate Administrator (level 4) must email HR Support Services (HRSS) ( with the volunteer name and birthdate to obtain Volunteer (Empl) ID. The volunteer must have a valid Volunteer (Empl) ID in order to obtain services such as email, parking, and keys.
    I.D. Card
    An ID card may be obtained by completing a CSULB VOLUNTEER ID CARD Application and Agreement Form. The volunteer must have a Volunteer (Empl) ID before obtaining an ID card.  The picture ID Card will provide the volunteer with the ability to access university services, through the established university process.
    If it is necessary to provide volunteers with university keys, the authorized official must complete a Key Issue Card. The volunteer may obtain the authorized key(s) by presenting the completed Key Issue Card and a CSULB Picture ID Card to Facilities Management.
    Vitae or SC-1
    A Vitae or SC-1 is required for academic volunteer assignments, such as field supervisors, researchers, art museum docents, or coaches.
    Email Account
    If the creation of an email account is necessary for the volunteer to perform his/her assignment, accounts are established automatically when the volunteer is issued a Volunteer (Empl) ID.  PeopleSoft transmits the volunteer information to Information Technology Services (ITS). Volunteers must set up their BeachID Account in order to access their email.
    If access to parking is necessary for the volunteer to perform his/her assignment, the department will be responsible for contacting Parking and Transportation Services to arrange for parking in accordance with campus policies and procedures.
    Assignment Letter
    For academic volunteers the Volunteer Assignment form shall be forwarded to the appropriate Dean/Administrator who shall prepare an assignment letter to the volunteer. If the assignment requires a Visa, the Volunteer Assignment form must be forwarded to Faculty Affairs via the Dean/Administrator.